Percent of Questions Needed to Pass COMLEX (2024)

Sort by dateSort by votes

Amy B

I miss my son so much

Moderator Emeritus

Lifetime Donor

Verified Member

Verified Expert

15+ Year Member

20+ Year Member

Platinum Member

Aug 7, 2000
4,303
  • Sep 23, 2006
  • #2

I was wondering about how many questions correct you need to pass also. Anyone know what it is??

P

pencilfloor

Junior Member

5+ Year Member

15+ Year Member

Nov 9, 2005
  • Jun 6, 2009
  • #3

Well on the comlex website it states that test takers have to get 75% correct to pass so that would mean that you can only miss 100 questions on a 400 question exam.

D

deleted19731

• Jun 7, 2009
  • #4

pencilfloor said:

75 is the two digit score which isn't a percentage... as far as I can tell something around a 40% will get you a 400 or 75.

Upvote0Downvote

Members don't see this ad :)

P

15+ Year Member

Sep 20, 2006
456
  • Jun 11, 2009
  • #6

pencilfloor said:

I think 40% would be equivalent to a failure. I think it's somewhere around 55%.

To be safe, I have been told that passing is around 60% or greater.

Doctor4Life1769

**tr0llin, ridin dirty**

Verified Member

15+ Year Member

Apr 28, 2008
34,250
916
  • Jun 11, 2009
  • #7

MCATTT said:

To be safe, I have been told that passing is around 60% or greater.

Are you serious?!

J

joeylux

Full Member

Apr 3, 2009
  • Jun 11, 2009
  • #8

Doctor4Life1769 said:

Are you serious?!

Are YOU serious? 60% on an exam, even if parts of it are written as poorly as some of the questions on COMLEX, is hardly an unreasonable requirement for making sure someone is competent enough to practice medicine. This is the least-gunner thread I've ever seen and it's difficult to imagine a more apathetic approach to assuring that those that attain a medical degree deserve to have lives in their hands.

Doctor4Life1769

**tr0llin, ridin dirty**

Verified Member

15+ Year Member

Apr 28, 2008
34,250
916
  • Jun 11, 2009
  • #9

joeylux said:

Nah, I am studying hard. However, we had a Kaplan Diagnostic that was REALLY hard ... and the class avg was around 53% on the exam, hence my curiosity.

J

joeylux

Full Member

Apr 3, 2009
  • Jun 11, 2009
  • #10

My Class also took that exam and our average was right around there if I remember correctly but the Kaplan exam had many, many very poorly, sparsely worded questions (especially the OMM) so I can understand your apprehension from that test. For all my bitching about how poorly written the COMLEX, I probably only could complain about 10-15% of them and that's far fewer than the Kaplan diagnostic, so don't freak out based on that.

MCATTT

Full Member

15+ Year Member

Sep 20, 2006
456
  • Jun 11, 2009
  • #11

Kaplan estimate score on USMLE step 1 is 211, if you get avg of 50%. Avg of 60% would give you 227. That's just for kaplan USMLE qbank.
COMBANK states 60% or above for their qbank. So, different qbanks saying differently based on their level of difficulty.

I don't really sure how the real exam % are. Sorry if I freak anyone out.

Last edited:

P

pencilfloor

Junior Member

5+ Year Member

15+ Year Member

Nov 9, 2005
  • Jun 12, 2009
  • #12

joeylux said:

I think that anyone taking the USMLE or the Comlex wants to score well. However as test time approaches people start getting freaked out and I think this thread was started to try and lessen some of the those fears. Many of us freak out before an exam only to find out that we did much better than we expected. I think this is a valid thread that addresses a question that many people have and it certainly doesn't make you less of a gunner if you read it or decide to comment on it. Really people be nice. Percent of Questions Needed to Pass COMLEX (6) Good luck to all

Last edited:

bigdog8829

Full Member

15+ Year Member

Jan 16, 2007
426
  • Jun 13, 2009
  • #13

From what I've heard passing is usually around the 50% mark.
This comes from info I've gathered over the last year from various speakers. Deans, teachers who write questions, and combank writers.

S

stenorx

New Member

Dec 25, 2008
  • Jun 15, 2009
  • #14

why can't these examiner make it the scoring simpler? why can't it be something like the MCAT or SAT. There is a raw score, which is the number of questions you get right, converted to a scaled score, which is curved. Fine, the COMLEX and USMLE has two scaled score, a 2 digit score and a 3 digit score. You'd think that the 2 digit score might represent a precentile score, but no. And you'd think that somewhere along the entire NBOME website they might include some sort of raw score conversion to scale score, or a minimum raw score to pass, but no. There is only a 3 digit score to 2 digit score and percentile conversion. Jeez! I want to do really well, but I have no idea if I'm gonna do ok, pretty good, or really good based on what I've been scoring on COMBANK, at least USMLE world gives you their scale scores and percentile scores. I don't even know if I'm studying enough or not, I just know I'll probably pass, but no idea if I'll be so so, above ave, or really above ave...I don't want to kill myself studying or lose more done density than I have too....but unfortunely, the boards scores do matter...so, I guess I'll just blindly study as hard as body will allow me to

Lamont

Neverending Storyteller

15+ Year Member

Feb 22, 2007
223
  • Jun 17, 2009
  • #15

from what i understand, based on what a faculty member has told me (and nobody knows for sure - so grain of salt).

44-50% will generally be the passing rate, depending on how everyone did and how the curve looks like once it is standardized. they shift the curve so that 400 is the passing score, 500 is the mean, std dev of 80, etc. it really all depends on the test and how everyone did. if people did awesome on the test, 50%. if people got abused, closer to 44 (or lower if need be, probably not).

N

nowaysanjose

Full Member

7+ Year Member

Oct 1, 2014
154
184
  • Apr 17, 2017
  • #16

Lamont said:

Bump-- is this still accurate??

Mad Jack

Critically Caring

Verified Member

Physician

Jul 27, 2013
38,522
75,520
  • Apr 17, 2017
  • #17

nowaysanjose said:

Bump-- is this still accurate??

No one knows if it was ever accurate.

Upvote1Downvote

Show hidden low quality content

You must log in or register to reply here.

Percent of Questions Needed to Pass COMLEX (2024)

References